Spin Digital Enhances its 8K HEVC Live Encoder
Berlin, November 18, 2021 – Spin Digital announced today the availability of a new version of its state-of-the-art 8K HEVC real-time encoder (Spin Enc Live v1.1).
This release includes new features addressed to increase usability, quality and performance for live applications, including: flexible SDI input capture for custom resolutions, multi-resolution live encoding for Adaptive Bit Rate (ABR) applications, support for the Japanese 8K broadcasting standard (ARIB STD B-32), optimizations for latest generation of CPUs, and perceptual-quality optimization.
Spin Enc Live is an HEVC encoding software solution that has been highly optimized for 8K live encoding and streaming at 60 fps, 10-bit, and HDR on the latest generation of Intel Xeon Scalable processors. As a complete live encoding solution, Spin Enc Live also includes SDI input capture, broadcast streaming over IP (RTP/UDP), Internet streaming (HLS), and Cloud streaming and delivery (AWS MediaConnect and Cloudfront).
The new features are summarized below:
- SDI capture for custom resolutions: In addition to SDI capture for standard broadcasting formats (1080p, UHD-4K, UHD-8K), the encoder has been enhanced to capture custom resolutions. This feature enables the combination of multiple SDI channels to create a single large image. As a result, it is possible to capture, for instance, a panoramic resolution of 15360×2160 (4×1 4K) pixels over a 12G-SDI card.
- Live ABR streaming: From a single live source several versions of the content with different resolutions and bitrates can be encoded in real-time and streamed simultaneously for ABR applications over the Internet.
- Support for the Japanese 8K broadcasting standard: The HEVC encoder supports multiple HEVC formats including single-slice frame encoding and the ARIB STD-B32 standard (4 slices per frame) used for 8K broadcasting in Japan.
- Enhanced visual quality for BT.2020: The live encoder has also been enhanced to improve the perceived quality of videos that use Wide Color Gamut based on the BT.2020 standard, the most widely used color space in 8K with HDR. As a result, more realistic color with less coding artifacts can be achieved.
- Optimized for Xeon Ice Lake Processors: The new version of the encoder has been extensively optimized for the 3rd Generation Intel Xeon Scalable Processors (known as Xeon Ice Lake). As a result, 8K 60 fps 10-bit HDR encoding can be performed in real-time using a standard dual-socket server with 2×38 CPU cores.
Spin Enc Live 1.1 is available now for licensing. A demo version or a quote can be requested online: https://spin-digital.com/demo-or-quote/
For more information visit the Spin Enc Live webpage.
Spin Digital and Spin Enc Live are trademarks of Spin Digital Video Technologies GmbH.
Other trademarks remain the property of their owners, and are used here for descriptive purposes.