Spin Digital Releases New Versions of its HEVC Media Player (Spin Player) and Encoder (Spin Enc)
Berlin, April 1, 2019 — Spin Digital announced today the availability of new versions of its HEVC/H.265 media player (Spin Player v2.0) and encoder (Spin Enc v1.9). The new Spin Player includes additional performance optimizations, and new features such as 360° video playback, improved support for HDR and WCG, real-time color space conversion, and tone mapping. Spin Enc has been updated with new features including a pre-processing filter for tone mapping conversion, and 22.2 channel audio coding.
Spin Digital HEVC/H.265 Media Player
Spin Player is a professional software media player that enables real-time HEVC/H.265 decoding and playback of high-quality videos in 4K, 8K, and 16K resolutions on PC-based systems.
Spin Player is based on a high-performance HEVC decoder and high-quality Video Render Engine, which are also available as SDK components ready to be integrated in custom applications.
The main features of the new Spin Player version are:
- Up to 4Kp240, 8Kp120, and 16Kp60 on a single workstation
- Ultra-high-resolution video with flexible multi-screen layouts
- Improved support for HDR and WCG, including gamut and tone mapping
- Interactive 360° video playback
- Better support for HLS streaming
- Improved decoding performance on new CPU architectures with AVX512 SIMD instructions
- Support for efficient pixel formats that reduce memory and PCIe bandwidth and increase performance. The new pixel formats include bit-packed and BC4 lightweight compression
- Improved performance on Intel Xeon Scalable platforms with specific support for NUMA architectures
- Added low-latency mode while preserving high-performance decoding
Video Render Engine
- 4K and 8K SDI (using AJA Corvid 88 boards) rendering for professional broadcast applications
- Extended multi-device configuration: single large surface or tiled (SDI, GPU), clone (GPU), and alternate (GPU) modes
- Support for real-time color space (BT.2020, BT.709) and transfer function (PQ, HLG, SDR) conversions
- Integrated HDR-to-SDR tone mapping algorithm for high-quality dynamic range preservation on standard displays
- 360° video playback based on the CubeMap Projection (CMP) and with user interaction (rotation, zoom, re-centering)
8K Playback Recommendations
As part of the new release the list of recommended system for 8K playback has been updated https://spin-digital.com/tech-blog/recommended-systems-8k-playback/
Spin Digital HEVC/H.265 Encoder
Spin Enc is a professional HEVC software encoding solution capable of producing very high compression levels at the maximum possible quality. In the new release, its high-precision pre-processing filter library has been enhanced with tone mapping capabilities for the following transfer function conversions: HDR10-to-SDR, HLG-to-SDR, HDR10-to-HLG.
In addition, Spin Enc includes support for 22.2-channel encoding and decoding based on the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) standard.
Compared to other HEVC software encoders, such as x265 and Intel SVT-HEVC, Spin Digital HEVC encoder is able to reduce the bitrate up to 35% in 4K videos and 23% in 8K videos at equal objective quality and encoding speed.
Spin Player v2.0 and Spin Enc v.19 are available now for licensing. A demo version or a quote can be requested online.
Spin Digital, Spin Enc, and Spin Player are trademarks of Spin Digital Video Technologies GmbH.
Other trademarks remain the property of their owners, and are used here for descriptive purposes.