Markets and applications/
Broadcast and Video-on-Demand
Features and Trends
There is a transition in the industry towards higher-quality applications in order to provide a better experience for final users. Resolution is increasing from Full-HD to 4K, and 8K, jointly named Ultra HD (UHD).
UHD not only provides images with higher resolution but also includes video enhancement techniques such as High Dynamic Range (HDR), Wide Color Gamut (WCG), and High Frame Rates (HFR) which together will deliver a more immersive and absorbing experience.
On top of the video quality enhancements of the UHD formats, VoD formats offer a very flexible delivery, access, and playout methods with adaptive streaming over the Internet using standards such as DASH and HLS.
The deployment of UHD applications is happening progressively and in different phases.
|UHD-1 Phase 1||UHD-2 Phase 2a||UHD-1 Phase2 b||UHD-2|
|Resolution [px]||3840 x 2160||3840 x 2160||3840 x 2160||7680 x 4320|
|Frame Rate [Hz]||50/60||50/60||100/120||100/120|
|Video Codec||HEVC Main 10||HEVC Main 10||HEVC Main 10||HEVC RExt|
|Year of introduction||2015||2017||2019||2020-2025
*Super Hi-Vision in Japan starting in 2020
Solutions Enabled by Spin Digital Products
Professional Media Players
- Testing of emerging video technologies: HDR, WCG, HFR
- Highly configurable player supporting multiple color spaces, transfer functions, and color formats
- Multiple input and output interfaces: SDI, GPU
Integrated Receivers Decoders
- Ultra-high-performance HEVC decoder
- Ready for 8K up to 120 frames/s
- Suited for multi-4K and -8K decoders and viewers
- High-precision, high-performance, on-the-fly video format conversion
- Conversion filters for color space, transfer function, scaling, aspect ratio, pixel formats, etc.
Encoding and Transcoding Platforms
- Real-time 8Kp60 HEVC encoding
- High-quality, high-compression, offline HEVC transcoders
- Streaming formats: DASH, HLS
- Support for cloud transcoding environments
- Multiple rate control algorithms: VBR, CBR
- Conformance to broadcast standards